Are you at a stage in your career where you are feeling stagnated?
Does it feel like a long, arduous drive with destination unknown?
Do you literally drag yourself and your mind to your place of work every morning?
If your answer to any or all of these is ‘Yes’, you can safely conclude that you are going through a widely common phase in working people’s lives called ‘Mid-Career’ dilemma or crisis. This adds fuel to the often prevalent mid-life crisis that people in the 38-45 years age group go through.
This indeed is a troublesome period for many in today’s fast-paced world. When the mind is engulfed with a feeling of stagnation and job insecurity, how can it be positively productive at the same time? Staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong is more painful than pangs of growth and change.
Not a favorable situation to be in when half your life is ahead of you with impending challenges such as fast-changing businesses, family responsibilities, personal health, fitness, finance to name a few.
The Good News is, you and only you have the strength and power to face this challenging situation and in fact take this opportunity to introspect, reflect and understand self to come out stronger and successful of the storm. Listen to your inner voice, do not suppress it. Face the life situations as ‘challenges’ and not as ‘problems’.
Here are some things you can do to take control of the situation:
- Wake up before sunrise (if not doing already), spend time with yourself – meditate
- Invite the light of power to pierce through you and feel the surge of positive energy traveling through you
- Look back at the wonderful journey you have traversed so far, your successes, failures, milestones, achievements
- This will revive the zeal and enthusiasm in you and raise your self-belief
- Identify that ultimate career destination that you want to achieve
- Find that mentor in your life who can be the proverbial ‘Pole Star’ to help you chart your new direction
- Identify your core strengths, existing skills & past experiences
- Link them with future possibilities, rekindle your dream second career
- Build a transition plan, define a path towards achieving your dreams and take proactive decisions and actions
- Small constructive steps towards your new destination will gradually transition you to a new path leading to your new lease of career-life.
Once you are behind the wheel, no force can stop you from reaching your destination!
Girish Tekchandani- Dheya Master Mentor